This DIY Gemstone Earrings may be one of my favorite DIYs yet. They are very simple to make, (relatively) inexpensive, and adorable to wear. I first learned about them in a Martha Stewart magazine. The directions, however, were vague, and they didn’t give alternative options. So here I am to help out!
Homemade DY Earrings
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Gemstones (or rhinestones or buttons)
- Ear Studs
- Ear backings (usually they will come with the studs)
- Deco Princess glue/Jewelry Glue
I got my gemstones at Rockstar Crystals in Manhattan, so if you’re ever visiting the city – stock up. Otherwise, Amazon and even craft stores should have some And don’t feel limited to only using gemstones. Buttons, pretty rocks, or anything with a flat surface can be turned into earrings! Get creative.
How to Make Homemade Earrings
1. Find the flattest, smoothest side of your gemstone to glue to the earring – and then glue that sucker on there. Hold in place for a few seconds to ensure it is properly glued on.
But be very, very careful. I superglued my fingers together – twice. So only squeeze a little at a time and immediately wipe off your fingers if any get on you. If you do happen to get it on yourself, keep a bottle of nail polish remover handy to remove. You may also want to cover your table with newspapers or something similar before starting.
2. The next day I went back and re-glued the gemstones on the base just to make sure they stuck.
3. Wear around and impress all your friends or give as a gift! They also make beautiful bridesmaids gifts.