When I first started on my clutter-free journey, I ate up minimalism and decluttering quotes for breakfast. I don’t know why, but hearing the benefits and hard truths in nice succinct quotes resonated with me more than a long explanation of why I should become a minimalist. Maybe you’re the same way. You don’t need or want boring explanations either. Just give you the good stuff so you can get back to living a life of less. If so, below are 20 of the best decluttering quotes to inspire, motivate, and cheer you on your clutter-free journey.
But first, grab my guide “Minimalism for Beginners” if you’re ready to create and maintain a clutter-free home for good! In it, I walk you through 5 steps to mentally prepare to declutter as well as 5 practical steps. Both are equally as important to make sure your home STAYS clutter-free.
20 Best Decluttering Quotes to Inspire You
The Negative Side
I normally stay away from negativity, but I’m going to talk about the negative side of clutter first because I know I needed to see it to encourage me to get rid of what I didn’t need. We need to see exactly how clutter is distracting us, taking our money, stealing our time, and affecting our relationships. It’s only then that we’re truly motivated to make a change for good.
1. “Clutter, even the word feels heavy when you say it.” Kerri L. Richardson
2. “Clutter is often the result of so many good intentions.” Becky Rogers
3. “Clutter doesn’t just occupy the house in which you live, it occupies your mind.” Avina Celeste
4. “Clutter steals energy and joy.” Monika Kristofferson
5. “Physical clutter takes up mental space.” Sarah Althouse
6. “Don’t own so much clutter that you will be relieved to see your house catch fire.” Wendell Berry
7. “If you’re not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You’re not going to start using it more by shoving it in a closet somewhere.” Joshua Becker
8. “Are you organizing…or just moving stuff around?” Sarah Althouse
9. “Our possessions are dictating our free time. Sundays used to be for relaxing and eating, and now they’re spent cleaning the garage.” Christin Frank
10. “When every possession is special, none of them are.” Kathi Lipp
Get the point? Me too. Now it’s time for some positives.
How can decluttering improve our lives? Well, let me share a few of the best decluttering quotes on how it can improve your life. And then check out my post “5 stress-free questions to ask while decluttering” to actually help you get the work done too.
11. “Outer order contributes to inner calm.” Gretchen Rubin
12. The best way to find out what we really need is to get rid of what we don’t.” Marie Kondo
13. The goal is not to have a certain number of things. The goal is to find out there is so much to be gained by living with less.” Sarah Althouse
14. “Proper storage is about creating a home for something so that minimal effort is required to find and put it away.” Geralin Thomas
15. “Minimalism won’t make your home perfect. But it will make it easier to manage.” Sarah Althouse
16. “Having a simplified, uncluttered home, is a form of self-care.” Emma Scheib
Lastly, here are a few “kick in the pants” quotes if you need the extra push to keep going.
17. “Decluttering is about getting rid of what you don’t want. Minimalism is about realizing how little you need.” Sarah Althouse
18. “Tidying is the act of confronting yourself.” Marie Kondo
19. “Edit your life frequently and ruthlessly. It’s your masterpiece after all.” Nathan W. Morris
20. “Picture your dream home. I bet it’s not filled with clutter.” Joshua Becker.
While these quotes are inspiring, don’t stop there. It’s time to do the work and make living clutter-free your reality. Don’t forget to grab my guide “Minimalism for Beginners” if you’re ready to create and maintain a clutter-free home for good!
Which of these best decluttering quotes was your favorite?
Leave a Reply